Thursday, July 26, 2007

Happy Meals...

I wanted to share this with you moms out there familiar with happy meals or as I secretly call them expensive crappy meals...

We have started making our own "happy meals." First I make a lunch, sometimes PB & J, with carrots, chips and a cookie, or the other day I made frozen chicken nuggets, fries and apples. The girls decorate brown lunch bags with crayons and markers. Then they select a previous happy meal toy or a small toy and put it in the bottom of the bag. Then we put in the food. They have really loved doing this. They even made up a lunch for their 12 year old brother... he received a broken yo-yo but was grateful for the decorated bag. He then took it a step further the next time and made french fry containers from construction paper.

Of course Mary Catherine sez after a day or two of this, "When can we get the REAL happy meals with NEW toys?"
Sheesh ... she has an answer for everything.


Let me know if you give it a try.

2 comments:

Shiela said...

My kids go crazy over lunchables. So, I make my own at home and they are pretty happy with the homemade version. I keep a bag of pepperoni on hand (for whole grain flatbread pizza). I put a few slices of pepperoni, a slice of Kraft cheese stacked in little squares, a stack of ritz crackers, and some sort of fruit cut up in small pieces. I vary the ingredients and they have fun making their own creations and eating them. Sometimes it is peanut butter, raisins, celery, and ritz. They make funny faces with the ingredients. Give it a try!

Angie said...

What great ideas ladies!!!! My kids would love to do the brown bag thing!!!

I've heard before of taking an ice-tray that is empty and putting all different kinds of stuff in it and then having them make their own creations with all the different stuff . . . Probably very similar to what you do Sheila!

I'll have to try this some time.