Sunday, September 23, 2007

A few good movies to rent or own...

This is a list of movies that are sometimes overlooked. I think they are worth watching:
The Way Home AWESOME! Great for the family, good for the children to learn about life around the world, loads of compassion in this one! Captions to read, however, I think you could explain some of it if the children did not catch on. Young children are clever and I think they would 'get it.'
PBS version of Pride and Prejudice, You must get this version, with Colin Firth. I believe if you are getting it via mail, it is 2 separate disc's so make sure you reserve both. AWESOME! The girls and I have seen this many times.
It Happened One Night EXCELLENT!! Family movie. Mary who is 3 enjoyed this along with the rest of the family.
Hotel Rwanda OH MY, I can't say enough. I learned a lot from this film ... a TRUE story. Please go watch this, not for the little ones. Then run out and buy the book (helps to support orphans of genocide) Left to Tell. A wonderful book full of inspiration!
Osama Grab some Kleenex this one is hard to watch, but worth it. It was well made.
Kitchen Stories, LOVED THIS ONE! Very sweet, whole family could see this one ... if they can read. :)
The Terminal [WS] The Terminal, Light, nice, funny. Well acted. I saw this pre-DuhVinci, so I don't know if it would be as appealing to me. Tom Hanks doesn't sit well with me these days.
Bride & Prejudice, I finally learned a bit about what Bollywood is. Oh my this is truly chewing gum for the eyeballs, I know I've mentioned it before, but it was a fun one to watch.
The Castle, This is hilarious. It is rated R but it is for some choice words only. Otherwise it would not be rated R. I really enjoyed this one.
My Left Foot, I recently watched this with Shiela and Elizabeth, it was great, such inspiration. The DVD has some news reels of the Real mother who raised this man.
The Quiet Man One of my all time favorites, the kids and I have watched this many times.

I know these were hasty reviews, but please share with me one or more of your favorites, thanks.



5 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, I love Pride and Prejudice. I have two versions of it. The Hollywood one that came out a few years ago with Kiera Knightly and the BBC version that you have posted in your blog. The BBC version is so much better, more like the book than the Hollywood version. Now only if I can get one with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth . . . hmmm . . . I have to watch both versions to get the total affect. LOL

Shiela said...

I wish I had the time to watch even one!!!

Saint Maker said...

Oh brother... let the housework go and get a flick.

Saint Maker said...

Angie, I've read P & P too... I really LOVE the book, did you see a movie is coming out Oct 5, about a Jane Austin book club? Should be interesting.
Peace,
Judy

Therese said...

Hi Judy,

I came here from Esthers blog. Nice blog. Can you believe that I haven't seen any of the movies you review here.

I tend to like musicals when I watch movies. I loved The Sound of Music when I was growing up and still do. I could watch it over and over.

I love to get out A wonderful life every year at Christmas.

Blessings to you.

Therese