Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Incorruptibles, Saints that defy decomposition

This has always fascinated me. I love miracles, OK who doesn't. I LOVE to read about the lives of Saints. I remember as a child being shown movies at school about how there are some Saints bodies that did not decompose after they died. I revisited this phenomenon... OK, MIRACLE, this evening while I was searching for relics ... specifically the relic of St. John Neumann.

The reason I am looking for a relic of St. John Neumann is because my brother Edward was healed of Crohns disease many years ago through St. John Neumann. I will ask him to blog about it. But the short version is that during a special mass that was said just for him, he was blessed with the relic of St. John Neumann. His disease disappeared instantly. God is good.

And now ... Warren's friend has crohns disease. Poor kid. I spoke with her briefly tonight and I could tell she was holding back tears, trying to be brave. She is very sick right now. She just had surgery and they expect her to be in the hospital for 3 more weeks.

My Uncle Curly was also healed. I do not know all the details but he was a child and had a crippling disease in his legs, and he was healed at St. Anne's Shrine in MA. It is a beautiful church.

I just love miracles. God is good. Thank you for the Saints.

So back to the incorruptibles.

I was not aware that St. John Neumann was one of the Saints that did not decay.

From this website: http://www.overcomeproblems.com/incorruptables.htm

Saint John Neumann - Died in 1860 in Philadelphia at age 48. His body was later found incorrupt. He was the first American Bishop to be canonized a Saint. His remains are on display in a glass enclosed altar in the lower church of St. Peter the Apostle at 5th and Girard Streets in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia.

This website explains it best, not to mention that there are many pictures of some of the incorruptibles: http://www.overcomeproblems.com/incorruptables.htm

Here is another saint everyone knows,

Saint Bernadette Soubirous
- St. Bernadette was the original visionary at Lourdes, France
and died in 1879 in Nevers, France. Her body was exhumed 30 years later in 1909 and was discovered completely incorrupt and free of odor. The body was again exhumed a second time ten years later in 1919 and was still incorrupt. Her body is still on display in the Chapel of St. Bernadette in Nevers, France to this day. See photos below.
I love the movie made about her life ... it is a MUST see. It is called The Song of Bernadette.

Well you'll be happy to know that all my searching was not in vain. We found a website that sells precious medals that are touched with relics of Saints. However, please note that a relic is not necessary for a healing. One can still get a healing through a Saint regardless of whether or not they were touched by a relic. I felt that if Warren would give her the medal she would know that we are thinking about her and praying for her. Thanks. I would give you her name, but I don't have permission to do that so I'll just ask that you pray for Warren's friend. Peace, Judy


5 comments:

Marie said...

I read the site you mentioned, I found something interesting:

Saint Withburga - Died in 743 and incorrupt body was discovered 55 years later. Her remains were on display for over 300 more years thereafter until destroyed during the Reformation.

Saint Etheldreda - Died in 679 and was later found incorrupt. Her remains were intact for nearly 800 years until the Reformation when, at the orders of Henry VIII, her relics were scattered and shrine destroyed.

After a class I was sitting with a group of students at lunch and we were talking about the mosques in Spain that were converted into catholic cathedrals. It was a random conversation and I didn't know much of what they were talking about but I listened anyway. I didn't realize there were muslims in spain at one point. I did throw in that Henry VIII had destroyed most of the catholic churches in england instead of simply converting them. My secular friends came to the conclusion that it would have been kinder to do what the spanish catholics had done and converted the churches, even though he had such a problem with them. It would have saved money (lol) and shown respect.

This (above) is another example of how the early protestants were so hateful and clearly led by something evil. Its really disturbing.

Saint Maker said...

Thank you for your comment Marie. I'm glad that you wrote "early" protestants, because though they were founded upon evil ways, many have risen to the call. I'm hopeful that more of my protestant friends will convert. But in the meantime ... they are loved just the same.

Yvette said...

Hi Judy,

I wanted to let you know that I watched the movie Miss Potter and really enjoyed it! She certainly was a great illustrator.

darcee said...

My husband is fasunated byt the incoruptibles. This is really fasinating.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!