Friday, February 15, 2008

EEEEEEEE URP

Curly Robillard

(Feb 13, 2008)

Survived by my Aunt, Lenora, and their wonderful children, Corrine, Bobby & Wayne, and their families.

I wrote a letter to my Auntie a few months ago, sharing with her the joy that she and my uncle brought to my life. I will share parts of that letter here, so other may know the joy he brought to our lives. Please enjoy these random memories...

I was at my Moms this week and she and I were laughing over something Uncle Curly used to say, one that gave us all a chuckle, “I wonder what the poor people are doing?” Anyone who knows Uncle Curly would know that no harm was meant by these jokes. He cared for all people. Not only that but he was poor once in his life so he very much could relate to this. I have been known to share these same Curly-isms with my own family. At a young age his father died and he had to take care of the family working while other kids went to school. Never bitter, always grateful for work to do.

I was very young the first time I went to Mass with my Aunt and Uncle. It was there that I was struck with both of your quiet, steady devotion to God. I had never seen that side of you. I felt privileged to be there with you. It meant a lot to me as a child to share the sign of peace with you both.

I recall a Sunday afternoon at their home. We were all sitting around watching a game on TV while the ladies were cooking in the kitchen. I was probably not more than 12 years old. Wayne came out of his bedroom and sat down with the kids and said “Watch This.” As if on cue, Uncle Curly got out of his recliner and marched down the hallway to Wayne’s room … which incidentally had a large stereo blaring music down the hallway. He hit a few knobs, said a few things under his breath. We heard the music go up, the radio stations changed, the base went up and down but still he was unable to turn it off. We were all laughing hysterically until finally Wayne went to his rescue. I, who thought I was too savy with electronics, never thought the day would come when I would reenact this! Ha ha on me! I have reached that point. I remember wanting to play some music while all the kids were at school. Just something peppy to listen to while I cleaned the kitchen. Warren’s computer/stereo setup is so wicked I was unable to even get sound out of the speakers. I wanted to throw the #!@$ speakers out the door! Just then I recalled Uncle Curly and laughed out loud to myself.

There was another opportunity for Wayne to get a laugh out of us yet again. It happened to be at a somber moment where everyone needed a laugh. After Meme’s wake was over, Wayne came over to us and said, “hey I’ll bet my father is outside cleaning the windows in my car.” Sure enough we walked outside and there was Uncle Curly, Windex in hand, paper towels in the other and was cleaning Wayne’s car. It was moments like these where you could see just how much Uncle Curly loves his kids. He said he wanted the back window to be clear for safety reasons. What a simple but sweet way to demonstrate your love.

I recall another funny story. We all went to Friendly’s after dinner for dessert, and Michelle, then just a toddler, grabbed Corrine’s wig and threw it!? I don’t think I have ever laughed so hard. It was there that my brother and sisters and I became quite impressed with Uncle Curly’s ability to eat 3 banana splits! I long for those days again.

Both my Aunt and Uncle define generosity. I remember when we were leaving Massachusetts and returning to Virginia. We stopped by your house on our way out of town and you both came out with arm loads of chips and snacks for the road. Our father explained to us young children that you were giving away your profits from the chip delivery job he used to have.

Another time after I was married, Rick we came to visit them and they treated us to dinner at a restaurant. I was all set to order the Tuna sandwich and they talked me into a fancy dinner. When the waitress came they ordered the dinners for Rick and I and then split a tuna sandwich! When the check came you picked it up and would not let us leave even a dime. There are countless examples of their generosity… too many to write. Their example has been something for us all to live up to.

I also appreciated the way the entire family opened their arms to my husband, Rick and included him as part of the family. I love you all for that. This has meant a lot to me. The whole family, Corrine, Eddie, Bob, Paulette, Wayne and all the grand kids have always welcomed us into their homes. What an example you have set. Awesome family!

All good memories implanted in my heart. I love the way they cared about each other. I have often looked to their example in my own marriage. I liked the way my Auntie took the humorous approach rather than the ‘poor me’ approach. Their marriage has been a great example to all of us.

Year’s ago my mother told me that they pray devotedly for us. She said Uncle Curly shared this with her. I was so impressed that at that moment I too added you guys to my prayers in a more consistent manner. I had always prayed for you, but now I was determined to live by your example so please know that I have never stopped thinking about either of you. I have added you to my Rosary intentions and my nightly prayers. I am sorry that you are both suffering right now. In my eyes you are hero’s. Never wavering in your faith … never wavering in your love for each other … never boasting … just steady, quiet and kind … always. I love you both for this.

I’ll end with EEEEEEEE-URP. Another great memory of both of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy,

That was great!! Well written:) Thank you for taking the time to do it. I looked up "Curly Robillard" on google and this was the only thing that popped up!

-John