Saturday, April 5, 2008

Where have all the gentlemen gone...

I was headed to a check out line at the grocery store and a man walked quickly around me and grabbed my lane. I was in a hurry because someone needed the potty. So I saw what looked like a shorter lane and I headed that direction. However, the 50ish year old man who had just bumped me then hops out of my lane and goes to the one I'm headed too, so I back up and stay in my lane.

While I waited my turn, I wondered to myself where had all the gentlemen gone. I'm old enough to remember a time when men stood up when a lady entered the room, or they quickly walked ahead to open a door.

Sadly the feminists told us that when men did this they were making us feel inadequate, like we couldn't open our own doors. I see it as something different, I think it taught us that women are special and need to have special respect.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm glad I can vote, I'm glad that I can choose to stay home and raise my children, but somewhere along the line we lost something that was wonderful. I couldn't help but wonder to myself if any of my four daughters would see a time when women are highly regarded.

Well fortunately for me I'm married to one such gentleman and I was raised by one, not to mention some very gentlemanly brothers... so all is not lost. I hope to raise similar young men.

NOTE: I was checked out, groceries loaded in my car before the not-so-gentleman was even out of the store. Sweet.

No comments: