Thursday, March 12, 2009

Nomads

I'm reading, "Walking the Gobi: A 1,600 -mile Trek Across a Desert of Hope and Despair." What an exciting read! It is the true story of the Thayers. Helen, 63 and Bill , 74 trek across the Gobi dessert. Sometimes treking 25+ miles per day!!! Why you ask? Well frankly I said the same thing.

I didn't even pick this book. I am part of a book group and the book was picked for me. But as I read the book, and learned of the Nomads in the dessert, I realized that I would have never 'met' these wonderful people had Bill and Helen not shared this experience with me. Also, now this is deep, but it is somewhat metaphoric as we are all walking our Gobi's right now. Whether you are a person suffering from cancer, looking for a job, getting married, suffering a loss, going to school, or you may be a college student who is getting ready to graduate and start life. We are all walking our Gobi's.

Speaking of college students and Nomads. Now that was a smooth transition. Of course I have Nomads on the brain right now because I'm reading Helen's book. But I can't help but think of my own college age kids as Nomads. It is spring break and my home is their spring ger. LOL... then they will pack up when the winds change, or the break ends, and move to the north, south, east or west, and take up residence in a different ger until the winds change again.

OK, the coffee is doing overtime, and I need to get something in the crock pot. I usually have an easy dinner like pizza on Thursday, but I used it for Wednesday so time to face the music.

Have a lovely day, and remember, we are all walking our Gobi's and if Helen and Bill can do it, so can we! (I'm not even going to read over this, because I need to get MOVING across the desert or I'm going to shrivel up!)

BTW, get the book!

No comments: